P A T H S パス – “ビジョンログ” series
Artist: P A T H S パス
Albums: ビジョンログ: F O U N T A I N, ビジョンログ: S T A I R W A Y, ビジョンログ: S K Y
Type: Series of three extended-plays (EPs)
- ビジョンログ: F O U N T A I N: 11 February 2017
- ビジョンログ: S T A I R W A Y: 4 March 2017
- ビジョンログ: S K Y: 3 May 2017
- ビジョンログ: F O U N T A I N: Elemental 95 / No Problema Tapes
- ビジョンログ: S T A I R W A Y: Elemental 95 / No Problema Tapes
- ビジョンログ: S K Y: Sea of Clouds
- ビジョンログ: F O U N T A I N: Digital download (Elemental 95, 2017)
- ビジョンログ: S T A I R W A Y: Digital download (Elemental 95, 2017)
- ビジョンログ: S K Y: Digital download (Sea of Clouds, 2017)
- ビジョンログ: S K Y: Compact disc, unlisted edition (Sea of Clouds, 2017)
- ビジョンログ: F O U N T A I N / ビジョンログ: S T A I R W A Y: Cassette, unlisted edition (No Problema Tapes, 2017)
P A T H S パス is a producer who got his start in 2016 with Cleansing Pool on Lost Angles – and like many vaporwave artists, he hasn’t concerned himself with wasting time. In two years, P A T H S パス released at least ten full-lengths and even more EPs1, slowly building from a base of classic-style vaporwave into ambient experimentation and even noise music (per Sun Rider and Moon Rider through Online Records). Not being one to get bored, P A T H S パス2 often had several long-term projects at once – one of which is the ビジョンログ series.
ビジョンログ is a trilogy of works released in 2017 that were set around a series of visions of a mystical place;3 it’s P A T H S パス’s “virtual plaza”. F O U N T A I N and S T A I R W A Y were released through French label Elemental 95; S K Y, Romanian label Sea of Clouds. Each describes a specific location within the place, and album artworks feature glitched-out and colorized images that hint to this parallel universe having a few quirks of its own. All three releases are single tracks of evolving ambient vaporwave at exactly twenty-nine, twenty-four, and thirty-three minutes respectively, with surreal and extremely pitch-shifted MIDI synthesizers; there are no samples present on any of the three. P A T H S パス often added sound effects and field-ish recordings based on the location; e.g., the highly distorted birdsong on S K Y. All of these elements lend surrealism to this strange world, as if you’re watching the purple-filtered water flow out of the fountain, the green fluorescence on the titular stairway shimmer in the morning sun, or the pink clouds in the sky fade over the blue sun.
ビジョンログ: F O U N T A I N
1. ビジョンログ: F O U N T A I N – (29:00)
ビジョンログ: S T A I R W A Y
1. ビジョンログ: S T A I R W A Y – (24:00)
ビジョンログ: S K Y
1. ビジョンログ: S K Y – (33:00)
1Depending on if a half-hour single-track release counts as an EP.
2And various permutations P A T H S, _P_A_T_H_S_, [P A T H S], etc.
3The Japanese translation is literally “Vision log”.